Welcome to the library's list of widgets and plug-ins. We hope this guide will help you discover and use the wealth of information resources provided by the library. Librarians can assist you further, also. We hope to hear from you!
ID & Barcode Basics
What are these things?
These widgets and plug-ins can be downloaded to your PC or Mac for use on any web page including iGoogle, blogs, and more, or with the browsers specified. For mobile apps, go to the library's mobile website pages http://m.uhcl.edu/library/mfinda/aapps for Android or http://m.uhcl.edu/library/mfinda/iapps for iPhone.
What are these things?
- Widgets are applications you can add to a web page
- Plug-ins install in your web browser
How can they help me?
These customized shortcut tools save you time. There is no need to go to the library's website if you want to search the catalog or some of the research databases. Search them directly from your browser, personal website, or desktop
OneSearch Quick bookmarklet
Ever visited a web page and wanted to find more scholarly information on the same subject? After you add this bookmarklet to your browser, clicking it will automatically search UHCL OneSearch for the title of the page you are visiting. (You can edit the query if you like, to remove or add other keywords.)
- Firefox users: right click the OneSearch Quick link below and then select "Bookmark this Link"
- Internet Explorer users: right click the OneSearch Quick link below and then select "Add to Favorites"
- Safari and Chrome users: draft the OneSearch Quick link below to your bookmarks bar
Special Instructions for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch users
1) Use your device's copy function to copy this URL to the clipboard:
2) Tap the 'plus' button at the bottom of the screen (iPhone, iPod Touch) or to the left of the location bar (iPad) and then tap Add Bookmark. It will automatically be named "OneSearch Quick", but you can change this name if you want. Save the bookmark to your iPad or iPhone's Bookmarks folder (or wherever you would like it to be). Then tap "Done".
3) Tap the bookmarks button (it looks like an open book) at the bottom of the screen (iPhone/iPod Touch) or top of the screen (iPad). Then, tap "Edit". Find the bookmark you just saved (unless you changed the name, it will be titled "OneSearch Quick") and tap it. You now need to change the URL to the text you copied in Step 1. Tap the URL field (it begins with "http://"), then delete everything in it and paste the text you copied. Then tap "Done".